Saturday 14 June 2014

La Fête des Pères comes early

Subtitle: I love the Route Verte-Rimouski-style!

Heading out of Rimouski on the shore bike path what more could you ask for: paved path; quiet, flat roads following the St. Lawrence, unique folk art, rest stops with toilets and one of Canada's most iconic lighthouses at Pointe-au-Père. 





As the bike path ends near where the 132 splits in two heading to Matane along the north shore or right towards Mont Joli and the Matapedia valley, I get my last look at the ever widening St. Lawrence River. The next time I will see salt water it will be the Gulf of St. Lawrence past Campbellton. 

But today it is the task to get as far as Amqui, which involves some good hill climbing.


Leaving Mont Joli behind

The hills come and go with the only issue the blustery cross breeze that pushes the bike around and forces me to descend the other side of the hills under brake to keep the bike steady.

I get to Amqui around 6. The day started out with the peaceful ride along the shore but the combination of the climbing and the constant truck traffic has me nodding off into my dinnerplate so off to bed early (which why this entry is a day late)  as it is going to be an early start tomorrow with an early bus for Joe and rain forecast.

No comments:

Post a Comment