Friday 20 June 2014

Freaky Friday

Last full day in New Brunswick and I head out to load up the bike to find the rear tire flat. Thirteen hundred kilometers without a problem and my first flat of the trip in the heart of Acadia and the birthplace of K C Irving.

Still, it is going to be a short ride to Shediac to meet up with Joe and then a few kilometers more to the hotel before our run tomorrow to the bridge. 

Turns out to be a tiny bit of glass lodged in the tire but 15 minutes later I am on the road with another tailwind once I pass the Irving Arboretum with an impressive dry stone wall.


I leave Bouctouche on the 134 and then turn onto the 535, which follows the shore to Cocagne. For once, this is a shore road where you actually see the shore and the water most of the time and with little traffic it is pleasant riding on an overcast day for the first hour until...

Another rear tire flat! Unbelievable. And it turns out to be a tiny sliver of metal smaller than a staple.

Anyway, mechanical work completed once again, I have to boogie now to get to Shediac so NB decides to give me some rain to remember her by.

Finally, get to the massive Timmie's in Shediac and reunite with Joe. He recounts his adventures in Moncton over lunch and then we are off to Cap Pele for our last night in the province.

It's hard to believe that tomorrow the travelling portion of the trip will be over and the biking will be only for pleasure. In one sense,  I'm happy to have succeeded in my goal but, at the same time, I feel the desire to keep riding over the horizon.



No comments:

Post a Comment