Tuesday 10 June 2014

And the number is 132

After another peaceful night at La Maison sous l'Orme Bnb and a hearty, yet artistic breakfast, it was off on the road again.



My partner needs another rest day for his knee so we say goodbye at the ferry in Lévis so he can catch the bus and I head along the very nice bike path that follows the south shore to pick up the 132 that we will take all the way to New Brunswick. 

Of course, the path is so nice that I miss the point where I am supposed to get on it and keep riding. This is where the mapping program is helping as I see I am going off my route and double back only adding 4 kms to my day.

I do finally get onto the 132 and start rolling up and down this scenic road with île d'Orléans on my left shoulder.

There is a very good and very wide shoulder that makes the riding comfortable since the speed limit is 90 km for vehicles but most drivers are doing 100 or 110. Not sure why people want to drive the scenic drive at highway speeds. 

Note to drivers: I am way over on the right hand side of the shoulder; you don't have to veer way over to the left hand lane and then wrench your vehicle back to your proper lane right in front of me to avoid opposing traffic. And maybe ease off on the speed instead of accelerating when going by a cyclist; we're not going that fast!

Note to other cyclists: the Route Verte signs will direct you off the 132 at each community. You might be tempted to ignore the signs and just keep on the 132. I would strongly suggest that you follow the signs. It gives you a break from the traffic, there is usually interesting things to see in these small towns, there are often stores and cafes to replenish but, most importantly I found, it is often a route, which provides a bit of shade that is a welcome relief on hot, sunny days.

Plus, in one town, I got to say hi to a German cyclist who is cycling to Vancouver. Not sure what this rationale is for doing the cross country east to west but good luck to them.

The kilometers rolled by as did the places such as Montmagny 



And L'islet sur Mer where there is a Maritime Museum 



This former icebreaker finished its career in 1978 just as I was beginning mine.

A short ride further down the road brought me to the destination for the day, Saint-Jean-Port-Joli. Still, I had to stop for a moment and enjoy the sights. 





No comments:

Post a Comment