Tuesday 4 September 2012

Bridging the waters


Took a ride over to the south shore to enjoy the wonderful Labour Day weather and check out the Festival Metiers et Traditions de Longeuil.



I had used the lift bridge at St. Lambert lock to cross the river, but decided to return to Montreal via the Jacques Cartier bridge. The last time I had used the JC bridge was probably twenty years ago so I was curious to see what the traverse was like now.

It took me a bit of scouting to find the path to actually get on the bridge; I guess the authorities figure no signage is required. Once on the path, however, the ride is quite pleasant with only a gentle incline. For some reason, though, pylons have been placed at intervals along the path that forces cyclists to slow down and manoeuvre around them. 


I suppose this is for 'safety' purposes to keep the speed of cyclists reduced, but all it does is create a hindrance and causes a conflict between opposing cyclists since only one person can navigate the pylon obstacles at a time.

I wonder what poor old Jacques Cartier would think of our increasingly Nanny state?



I had expected the noise on the bridge to be as oppressive as the Brooklyn bridge, but with the path being on the west side of the bridge it was actually bearable because the traffic was only on one side. 


All in all, an efficient and not unpleasant way to get across the St. Lawrence without the concern of getting delayed by a ship entering or leaving St. Lambert lock.



No comments:

Post a Comment