Tuesday 28 May 2013

Safety in Numbers

I decided to alter my normal ride out to Parc Maisonneuve and keep riding east on St. Zotique into Anjou. I followed the bike lane all the way, which zigzagged through the suburban east end of the city.

East of Viau you don't see many cyclists and, clearly, drivers don't see you even though the bike lanes on the street are reasonably well marked. In fact, you have to be careful not to be lured into a false sense of security by the bike lane because alertness is the watch word. In a short span, I was cut off by several vehicles at intersections and drive ways, and even had one driver head right for me, oblivious of the marked bike lane I was following.

It was a comfort to return to the Plateau where, for cyclists, there is safety in numbers.


No comments:

Post a Comment